Habit #1 — Protect Yourself from the Sun
1. What is the best way to keep your skin healthy?
You should protect it from the sun.
2. What kind of damage can ultraviolet light do to your skin?
It can cause wrinkles, dryness and roughness, liver spots, and disorders like cancerous skin tumors.
3. What three habits can provide complete skin protection from the sun?
The three habits include avoiding the sun during high-intensity hours, wearing protective clothing, and using sunscreen.
4. When are the sun’s rays most damaging?
They are most damaging from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
5. How often should you apply sunscreen?
You should apply it liberally 20 minutes before going outdoors and reapply every two hours, especially after sweating or being in water.
Habit #2 — Don’t Smoke
1. What types of damage can smoking do to your skin?
It can cause wrinkles due to acceleration of the aging process, narrowing of blood vessels in outermost layers, decrease in blood flow, depletion of oxygen and nutrients to skin, and damage from cigarette heat.
2. How long does a person have to smoke before it affects his or her skin?
For as few as 10 years.
3. What are some other reasons it is a bad idea to smoke?
It causes lung cancer and contributes to heart disease, and other illnesses; stains skin and teeth; leaves odor on breath, skin, hair, and clothes; endangers other people with second-hand smoke.
Habit #3 — Wash Your Skin Gently
1. Why is it a good idea to wash with warm water and to limit your bath time?
Hot, long showers remove skin oils.
2. What are the best kinds of soaps to use?
Mild soaps with added oils and fats are the best kinds to use.
3. Why should people with sensitive skin avoid perfumes or dyes?
They may cause skin irritations or allergic reactions.
4. What should females use to remove eye makeup?
They should use a soft sponge, cotton cloth, cotton balls, or oil-based products if using heavy or waterproof makeup.
5. Why is it a good idea to gently pat your skin dry after a shower?
It helps retain skin moisture.
Habit #4 — Moisturize Regularly
1. What do moisturizers do?
They help maintain the skin’s moisture levels, provide a seal to keep water from escaping the skin, and help release water into the skin.
2. What factors determine the kind of moisturizer you should use?
Skin type, age, and whether you have a specific skin condition determine what moisturizer you should use.
3. How can you determine if your skin needs moisturizer?
If your skin is tight 20 minutes after bathing you should use a moisturizer.
4. What minimum sun protection factor (SPF) should your moisturizer have?
It should have at least SPF 15.
5. What should you keep in mind if your skin is sensitive? Very dry? Oily?
Those with sensitive skin should use products free of heavy dyes, perfumes, and additives; those with very dry skin may want to apply oil after bathing; those with oily skin may want to skip moisturizing.
Habit #5 — Shave Carefully
1. What kind of skin is especially prone to skin irritations from shaving?
Thin, dry, and very sensitive skin is prone to skin irritations.
2. Why should you use a warm wash cloth on your skin before you shave?
It helps to soften the hair.
3. Why is it a good idea to apply cream, gel, or lotion before you shave?
They help to lubricate the skin and avoid razor burn.
4. In what direction should you shave?
You should shave in the direction of hair growth.
5. If your skin becomes irritated from shaving, what should you do?
You should apply a lotion that doesn’t contain ethyl or isopropyl alcohol.
Written by the Advancing Science Serving Society.